blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Monday, November 12, 2007

Jayne McGowan, 1981-2007

As most people know by now, Jayne McGowan, one of my close friends, sorority sisters, and a college roomate, was killed this weekend. The circumstances around the murder are laid out well here and here. The investigation is ongoing, and all I can do is hope they catch her killer.

Jayne was a really special woman. Using the past tense around her name is still really hard for me to do. She was genuinely kind and caring -- she loved her family and her friends and being around people more than anyone I've ever known. She had an infectious giggle like nothing you've ever heard before. And big sparkly blue eyes. She was really good at eskimo kisses. And she said "Hi!" in a very unique, happy, high pitched way. Jayne loved watching movies on HBO -- not really caring what they were. I have distinct memories of coming home from class most days and finding her watching some ridiculous looking thing, and not being able to tell you what it was called, but being really into it. Insignificant stuff like this is all I can seem to conjur up right now. She jumped up and down a lot when she was happy. She really liked beer, but couldn't burp. And woo-woos. She loved woo-woos, ever since she learned how to make them in bartending class. She bought me a woo-woo at my birthday party this past August, which she drove up from Charlottesville to come to.

She was always there for her friends when they were going through something, and she knew how to reach out and lean on people too. We had many a serious discussion about life and love and womanhood over snacks in the kitchen at Tunlaw. She built incredible networks of people all around her -- from her elementary and high school friends from upstate New York to all the people she knew through her millions of activities at UVA to all her coworkers and friends she met up in D.C. She was just starting to add another group to that web, with her new life back in Charlottesville, when she was taken away. To say that she's going to be missed would be an incredible understatement.

If you'd like to join us in honoring Jayne's memory, you're welcome to any of the following events. Get in touch with me for more information.

Tuesday, 11/13: Informal Vigil. 7-10 p.m., Clarendon, VA

Wednesday, 11/14: Calling Hours, 4-8 p.m., Fayetteville, NY
Thursday, 11/15: Funeral, 10:30 a.m., Fayetteville, NY

UPDATE: Two men have been arrested in connection with Jayne's murder.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Very well said Amanda. I love reading everyone's testamonials. It makes her seem right here with us. We will all miss her so much.

6:39 PM  
Blogger BPO said...

Oh god amanda, I miss her so much. Ill see you in approximately 10.5 hours. I cant wait.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. I was a friend and colleague of Jayne's in DC, and like you all, I'm shocked and deeply saddened by her death, and outraged at those who killed her. We worked together at the satellite trade association and I've been in touch with several of her friends from SBCA who have asked about the vigil tonight. Would you mind letting me know where in Clarendon the vigil will be held so I can pass that information along? Thank you.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

I can't figure out how to email you back, but here's the info:

Date:
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Time:
7:00pm - 10:00pm
Location:
Party Room at the Clarendon Apartments
Street:
1200 N Herndon St
City/Town:
Arlington, VA

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the vigil was a beautiful thing and I'm sure it was. I am also sure that Jayne was smiling down from heaven at all of you together.
love, jp

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the vigil was beautiful. the girls who organized did a fabulous job. thank you. there were probably 150 people there. it was touching.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I may be one of the last people you would expect to post here. My name is Tim and I'm an Australian. My family billeted Jayne a couple of years ago (actually, checking back it was about 11 years) when she was in Australia on a tour with her school. Jayne was everything that you guys have described - simply a wonderful person. My mother has kept in touch with Jayne and her family and I know she will be devastated by the news I have to give her.

I wish Jayne's family and friends all the best. What a pointless way to end a life.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home