blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Friday, May 16, 2008

Flyday

Hi! When I woke up this morning, I thought it was Monday for some reason. So when Matt Lauer & Co. told me that it was exactly the work-week opposite of that, I couldn't have been happier. OR COULD I? This morning's Today Show featured the reunion of New Kids On The Block. I actually wasn't too excited leading up to their performance -- I haven't actually pined for them much since the height of their popularity (though I was a rabid fan at the time). But color me surprised as I proceeded to giggle and tear up a little bit throughout their opening medley of hits. They even did their old dance moves! I'm kind of embarrassed by how much I enjoyed it. Not much has changed -- people still squeal the most for Joey's solos, Donnie's still got mad charisma, and Jonathan still looks like he doesn't want to be there. And Jordan's voice is still a little shaky despite being the lead singer, and Danny is still... there.

In other news from my teevee box:

DCeiver was totally cited on The Daily Show!

The Office Season finale totally brought it back. Last week's episode, largely reviled across 'da tubes as the series' worst episode ever, can now be forgotten. The hour-long (usually a sign of a terrible episode to come) finale started off with a classic Jim prank on Dwight, and continued to roll in good form throughout. It's still a little too over-the-top (the beauty of the first two seasons being in the banality of it all), but the character story lines in this episode were classic. Especially KEVIN. Oh. My. God. That was the most brilliant bit of writing I've seen in a long, long time. I also loved the emerging war between Phyllis and Angela, all of the relationship story lines, the new HR lady, and a classic Kelly Kapur interview segment. This is why I like The Office.

Lost was also sort of off the rails last night (in a good way). This season has completely reignited my Lost devotion too. I wasn't that fond of the past couple, but I am completely into it once again. I can't for the life of me figure out how we get to the six survivors getting off the island from where the story is right now. Holy crap.


Non-tv-related: here are two links from Feministing that sent my jaw straight to the floor. How is this stuff still possible? And in the U.S.?

2 Comments:

Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

Actually, I should clarify. I hated the Jan subplot. But I almost always hate everything related to Jan's character in the past two years, so, it's a no brainer for me. But I wanted to just clear the air on that one.

11:07 AM  
Blogger sbma44 said...

I cringe at the Jan storylines, too, but I'm glad they're there -- maintaining Michael Scott's tragic nature is important, if uncomfortable. I think it's one of the few things that keeps the US version of the show moored to the greatness of the UK original.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home