blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Not to go all Liv Tyler w/a box of animal crackers on you, but

In this age of iPods, I often find myself pondering the odds that someone else is listening to the same thing I am at the same time. Before HFS took a siesta, I used to drive to work with the Sports Junkies. I felt fairly certain that many people were hearing the same thing. But since Smelliot makes me stabby -- nay! curb stompy -- and none of the other options coax even a giggle out of me (which is seriously saying something, as I am widely recognized as one of the easiest laughs you'll ever get), I find myself more often than not listening to CDs or my internetPod on el commute. Obviously, CDs and the listening of them in the car is not an innovation. But I still find myself wondering if there's anybody else, in all the world, that at 8:42 EST this morning was listerning to The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel.

UPDATE: And here's the thought progression that at 9:19 this morning I wasn't yet ready to fly with: Is the "i" in iPod indicative of interactivity, or is it more akin to the capital "I," the iNdividual experience, iSolation, iSland living? The iNternet connected the masses but made them faceless. Are we now deconnecting ourselves face to face? I've long chattered about the study I'm going to helm, whose findings will be published as "My Cell Phone/My Self." It's now looking like that's going to have to be sidelined to chapter title-hood, as this theorum keeps growing. Stay tooned peoplettes!

Yeeee, two iPod-centric posts in a row? Sorry? Take the edge off and play this.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of my FAVORITE things to think about (how electronic devices are affecting the population). Since the advent of the Walkman, people have wondered what kind of impact earphones have on your perception of the world. YOu are able to shroud your reality in a personal soundtrack, thereby experiencing things a lot differently from the rest of the population (and I realize we experience things differently anyway, but this is an external agent of change, not internal). And it isolates you from human interaction because blocking your eardrums makes you unaware of some of your surroundings. This now goes for cell phones and iPods and -gasp!- the combination of the two that cingular has released. Pretty soon we'l have iPod/cellphone/email devices implanted in our brains at birth. oh yea, you heard it here first.

12:07 PM  
Blogger ike said...

Probably much more likely, there's some marketing guy in an office somewhere who thought putting 'i' in front of a word would make it sound cool and insure the future use of the 'i' to iMply things about the product.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

No doy. I don't actually think the Apple folks were pondering this issue when they named their "i" series. I'm doing that form meets function analytical thang.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh whoops, by the way-->
Anonymous= jenna

pushed the wrong button.
No matter how fitting it turned out to be...

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll iPod your face!

1:55 PM  
Blogger ike said...

I like to think it stands for "idiotic idiom", but I did work for a company with a similar name. That is, until iGotlaidoff.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention that "iPod" is to be used gramatically the smae way as "God".

"Apple Computer often refers to the player as iPod, without use of the definite article the. Apple's web site reflects this usage (for example, "iPod incorporates the same touch-sensitive Apple Click Wheel that debuted on iPod mini"), which resembles Apple's use of the words Macintosh or iMac. The company has other products with a lowercase "i" in front of the name. These include: iSight, iChat, iTunes, iDVD, and iBook. When Apple first introduced the iMac, the "i" stood for internet, meaning that the iMac shipped with everything you would need for a connection, but it stuck, as the brand recognition associated with it has positive effects on the sales of Apple products. Recently, some media have started referring to the generation primarily born in the late 1980s, and which in particular has made the iPod popular, as the iGeneration, suggesting that the "i" family of products may have a far-reaching cultural impact"

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy waxing philosophical, Batman!

hi- yea its me. i'M alive. maybe the lower case i connotes that the "I" in individual is no longer as important as it used to be. IE- although we are all separated from eachother listening to different music, something about walking down the street wearing an ipod (excuse me, wearing ipod) and walking past someone else wearing an ipod (which happens ALL the time in DC) makes you feel instantly connected to them. Sometimes i even get nods...like when Jeep owners wave or honk at eachother... And, well.....yea......

enough of that i say!

By the way, i kneeeew that was jenna way before she corrected herself and added her name! Can't be anonymous to me!- identity transcend anonymity on the internet from time to time (hence knowing the writer of an evite for example)....

stopping again. goodbye

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

knowing the writer of an evite from multiple people......anyhow... not so relevant i guess....

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home