blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Monday, October 15, 2007

I have a Bel Aire hangover

I've eaten approximately 8 pounds of bel aire sandwiches in the past 24 hours. I also spent the weekend in the most beautiful town with the greatest friends and the cutest 1 year old drinking the most beer eating the most food and having the best time. Man, I love Charlottesville. Did I appreciate how freaking incredible that place is when I was living there? I hope so. I think I did.

And, we won our football game. Against the undefeated (??) UCONN Huskies. Which I was really glad about cause, boy would it suck to travel to cville for a game then lose (especially when you're with Beth Tommasone Falk, whose mood would have been seriously impacted by a loss. seriously), but also because some UCONN fans were responsible for the confiscation of my bourbon. It's a long story that involves both their chests and mine, but suffice it to say, Connecticut got what was coming to it.

And, Nabob, I totally knew that was you sending me those text messages. At least, I was sure enough to save the number in my phone as, "Nabob's real name, probably." My friends were really excited though. "We have to go to the White Spot! What if it's your true love??"

And on another note, man, a lot has changed around Charlottesville! Starr Hill: GONE! Bluebird: GONE! Northern Exposure: GONE! O'Neals: GONE! Yet another restaurant/bar has filled the space that was once The Crab. And the Greenskeeper turned Jabberwoky has now become Three, The Corner's answer to Mister Days. And the Amigos on the corner has now become a 2nd Christian's Pizza! (Which is totally awesome.) Oh, and those SOBs now have their very own Target. And the owners of the aforementioned home of the gusburger opened up an ice cream shop next door, called the Sweet Spot. And on game days, they offer face painting for fifty cents! And one thing I learned this weekend that I never really had to while I was a student: cabs in Charlottesville are plentiful and extremely affordable!

Completely Unrelated: I just left Tra/vis Mor/rison a voice mail.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

O'Neils is gone? Seriously?!? What's in its place?

2:43 PM  
Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

Nothing! It's all emptied out and shut down, but nothing's taken its place yet. Its signs are still up and everything. There's a poster in the window saying something like, "hey, ah, yeah, go to Biltmore instead."

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really useful, actually -- I'm going to be in Charlottesville later this week.

3:11 PM  
Blogger the Nabob said...

wait.

who's doing what now?

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAHOOWA!

I'm wondering, who has our thongs now, if they are no longer hanging in the bar at O'Neils. An end of an era I tell you... and end of an era :(

7:28 PM  
Blogger catherine said...

wait what starr hill gone what?!?!? explain.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

Yeah, closed up shop! Apparently they closed a few months ago. There's still Starr Hill in stores around town, but apparently they're not brewing it anymore, so what's on the shelves is it.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home