blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Spirit of Thanksgiving

The G and I have a theory that we exist on two separate planes that only overlap occasionally. Because, we're often in the same place, but never see each other. Last night, when the bloggetariat was celebrating Thanksgiving Eve at the Black Cat, I suspect that our planes separated, at around 12:35 a.m. We were all standing around, chatting, no talk of exits anywhere. I saw a friend of mine sitting in a nearby booth, and went to say hello. We chatted for 3, maybe 4, minutes, and when I turned around, POOF! The temporary overlap ceased, and every one of the dozen or so people I was there with had vanished. I went outside to see if they were smoking? Nope. Went back inside to see if I'd temporarily lost my sense of sight? Negative. Suddenly without anybody's couch to crash on, I jumped in a cab and headed back home to VA. Also, I had the meanest cabbie ever who made me question my faith in humanity.

This morning, the wonderful Mike Coleman, ex-roommate hall of fame member, volunteered to give me a ride to my fresh-from-the-shop VW in DC. I was very thankful. We have a nice little chat, it's a beautiful and bizarrely balmy day. I get to my whip, hop in, put on my shades and roll down the window. As I'm waiting for a break in traffic so I can pull out, a wind stirs some fall foliage around in the air, and an acorn on a mission flies into my window at about 30mph, and hits me with the force of a fist, squarely in the right sunglass lens.

So today, on this fine Thanksgiving 2007, I am thankful for the Tom-Cruise-inspired wayfarer knockoffs I got for $6 at Wave One in Stone Harbor over labor day weekend (when everything must have gone), because they saved me from being blinded by a rogue and very aggressive acorn.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda! I'm sorry. Some of us started to leave, then everyone did, and I just lost track. We couldn't have gotten far, you should've called!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

Oh it's ok! I didn't mean to sound mad; it was just all part of the lead up to the amazing acorning experience.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"SHE DOESN'T LIKE YOU VERY MUCH. I READ IT ON HER BLOG."


still funny.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home