blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Today's the day we blog about Christmas music!

According to Tommy and Ryan (oh, and The G). So I'll throw my hat in the ring. I'm not much of a purist when it comes to holiday tunes -- I'm an equal opportunity spirit lover. I'm especially fond of most of the high energy ones that make you want to dance like Kevin McAllister with his Michael Jordan cardboard cut out. Ryan says Christmas is about the past, which is all well and good, but it's also about celebrating.
Also, old standards like Bing Crosby's "White Christmas", Sinatra's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song" make me tear up and want to stare longingly into a fire while sipping cocoa. "Silent Night" is probably my favorite Christmas song overall; recorded, I'm fond of the version by The Temptations, I think.

If you're a fan of Wham's "Last Christmas," check this out: these bloggers are compiling every cover of the song they can find. They have found an astounding number.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Equal opportunity spirit lover" sounds like a euphemism for "ghost slut."

4:08 PM  
Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

Ha! You caught me. This whole post was a veiled way for me to admit: I'm hot for spectral lovin.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Norf said...

Damn you for posting the "Last Christmas" link. Now I'm not going to get anything done on my last day of work before vacay.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I do recall a rather intense conversation in a cheesy bar somewhere in the East Village as you vehemently defended the merits of that Mariah Carey song. No scrooge can foil your cheer :)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hi, Amanda. It was good finally to meet you at Sommer's party last night. Anyway, some fine picks on your list; I hadn't heard the Walkmen track before. I hope you can find a new favorite or two from Santa's Got a Big Olde Bag, the yule-mix I brought to Sommer's. I recommend "Snow Bunny," even though it's not explicitly a Christmas song ("too much ski time but what about me time"), or "Grandma's Homemade Christmas Card," which rivals James Brown's "Go Power at Christmas Time" for star non-attentiveness -- even though, unlike the Godfather of Soul, Merle does actually appear to remain physically in the recording studio for the duration of the song. Then again, it's only 1:45 long.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers!!! Christmas is not complete without its authentic touch… I have a good collection of country christmas album. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I do….

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home