blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Thursday, September 11, 2008

When you notice the stripes

Riddle me this: why does a print change the way something fits? 

I've noticed this a lot over the years, and it's always puzzled me. I guess I can understand if the print is applied on top of a fabric, maybe that changes the way it stretches or falls or something. But if it's just dyed differently? I do not get it. Recently, it's been with these tees from UO. I bought one a couple months ago, and fell in love immediately, deeply and madly. It fit so perfectly, loose and flattering but still figure-skimming. And super soft in that washed out cotton kind of way. And the color, a muted but still vibrant blue. I loved it. I wanted it in every color I could get my hands on. 

So a couple weeks ago, I went back. They had a sadly small number of them in my size (only 3), but I bought all 3. Of those, 2 were solid colors, 1 was striped. All are the same material. The striped one is tight as a tick and so low cut I couldn't wear it to work. The solids? All lovely as the original. 


1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

There's an UO literally across the street from my office if you want me to stop by and look for more. Just let me know your size.

In other words: GIVE ME AN EXCUSE TO LEAVE THIS GOD-FORSAKEN PLACE!!

(it's kind of scary how easy it has gotten for me to type long sentences with one finger holding down the shift key. I attribute it to the PalinDrome's stylistic conventions).

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home