blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Friday, June 02, 2006

Oh, Word?

I don't know how many amongst my friends are as nerdy as I am, but one of the little spots of happiness in my days is the Dictionary.com Word of the Day email. Recently it's taught me two words that I didn't know and that are both high on the awesome scale, and will be folded into regular useage.

pleonasm \PLEE-uh-naz-uhm\, noun:

1. The use of more words than are necessary to express an idea; as, "I saw it with my own eyes."
2. An instance or example of pleonasm.
3. A superfluous word or expression.


neoteric \nee-uh-TER-ik\, adjective:
Recent in origin; modern; new.

Neoteric is particularly awesome, and I plan to use it in many future blog-centric conversations.

Happy Friday, from your resident Word Nerd.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i subscribe to the word a day too. :) my favorite part is the sentences that show you how the word is used in real life. you've got company, nerd.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home