blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Monday, February 26, 2007

Books, books, books

I've been in a reading rut lately. I've started in on four or five different books lately, and gotten horribly bored and given up. So bored in fact, that the only one whose name I can remember is Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. I just referenced an old DCist email thread about favorite books, which lead me to ordering Kavalier & Clay, Microserfs, and A Confederacy of Dunces off of Amazon.* In the mean time while Super Saver Shipping does its thing, anybody got any good reccomendations? Something with a good story and characters that aren't loathsome? I've been particularly enjoying southern novelists and sci fi lately, so anything in those realms? Or anything at all, really. And, no need to feel like you have to suggest the most intellectual thing you've ever read either. I'm as open to an easy read as I am an enlightening one. Entertain me, people!



*I'm goin all pyg-style on your ass. In addition, also bought the complete series of Undeclared, Firefly and Freaks & Geeks. Because I am Amazon.com's biggest sucker.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh god. you just ordered all of my favorite shows probably.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Widow of the South" by Robert Hicks is a pretty good historical nonfiction (I say pretty good, not fantastic or anything spectacular) and one of my all time favorite books is Steibeck's "East of Eden." If you want really interesting characters, check it out :)

5:48 PM  
Blogger The Deceiver said...

KILLING BONO, by Neal McCormick. Awesome book about what it's like to have dreams of becoming a rock star while simultaneously being childhood friends with the lead singer of U2.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

Ver, I laughed out loud reading your description. Will pick that up tomorrow. Allison, thanks!

G -- that's realy weird. Considering I was aping your format intentionally, and didn't know I was aping your taste as well.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for southern, i loved "gods in alabama" by joshilynn jackson. for all purposes, all four books in the "sisterhood of the traveling pants" series. have you read those? they're AMAZING. no sci fi in my library. :)

10:43 AM  
Blogger Lauren H said...

Currently by my bed... "I Am Charlotte Simmons" - Tom Wolfe 2004. Will immediately take you back to The Lawn and your first frat party, guaranteed. *Warning: this transportation will be for better or for worse... it's got some depressing overtones. Or undertones. Or whatever! (ah, a disintegrating English major)

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home