blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Friday, May 04, 2007

Guys, I Did It

Though I go to Galaxy Hut's karaeoke night just about every Thursday, and I sing and dance along from my seat, I never, ever actually get up and grab the mic. Because, well, I'm not a good singer. Nope, sadly, though I spend half my time listening to, critiquing, obsessing and writing about music, I haven't got a lick of talent in that arena myself. Not one bit. But last night, it all changed.

I don't know if it was the wine or the beer or the encouraging presence of Jenna, but somehow I decided to just go for it. Who cares if I stank? It was time to stop being a cheerleader and start participating. So, with the dueting help of Alyssa, we treated the crowd to "Twist and Shout." Well, "treated" might be too strong a word. The patrons kindly sat there while we attempted not to crush the Beatles' song. Mitchell's critique was that I myself needed to do more twisting, and possibly more shouting. Next time.

I even got up for a second song later in the night. Lindsey came out just to do "Leader of the Pack" with Jenna (who, by the way, absofuckinglutely nailed a Patsy Cline song early on in the evening), but Jenna had to jet off and catch the last train to D.C., so I stepped up to the plate yet again.

So yes. I did it. It surely wasn't good, it was probably too cutesy and made the audience cringe, but I bit the bullet. And I'm not even embarassed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Mottram said...

Good for you, though LA Bar has the best karaoke jam in Arlington County!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

Jamie, what is this LA Bar you speak of? I'm unfamiliar. I'm always on the lookout for a good haunt. It'd be damn hard to steal the top spot in my heart away from Galaxy Hut, though.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jamie Mottram said...

Lower Arlington Bar & Grill. It's just off Columbia Pike between the Drafthouse ann Bob & Edith's. The place welcomes all walks of life, serves cheap drinks and has karaoke every Saturday night. And since it's 100 feet from my front door, it's the best. bar. ever.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home