blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Mom's Meatloaf

I just made my mom's meatloaf recipe, and dang this is good stuff! I realize in some circles it's considered sacrilege to share such a recipe, but I'm fairly certain that my mom would want anybody to be able to enjoy this super easy and delicious meal. And it's not like I'm giving away her cobbler recipe.

Preheat oven to 350

1 lb thawed ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp or less salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp celery salt (i didn't have any and i didn't think it hindered the recipe any)
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp basil (i used fresh from my garden, but dried is fine)
1 tsp horseradish
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp sage (same comment as basil)
1/4-1/2 cup catsup
1 egg
2 handfuls quick quaker oats
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tbs heinz or other steak sauce plus 1/4 cup for topping
I didn't have steak sauce, so I substituted worcestershire in the mix, and a mix of heinz chili sauce and ketchup for the topping

Mix ingredients in, as listed, with a fork or clean hands until well mixed. Pat into a firm ball or loaf and place in loaf pan. Pat it out to fit the pan. (If loaf is not firm enough to work easily, add more oats.) Spread 1/4 cup steak sauce over top with back of spoon. Cook at 350 for one hour.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

oh you KNOW i'm gonna use my hands to mix up that RAW meat.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home