blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Consternating Brushes with Technology

This morning, I was laying in bed, oversleeping and repeatedly hitting snooze, when my phone rang. My house phone. My land line. Assuming it was my dad, the only person who calls me at home in the morning, I groggily answered. I was greeted with a robotic female voice alerting me that she was Call Intercept, and someone was trying to get through to me. Then, I heard a recording of my good friend Tony saying his name. Tony's voice is pretty unmistakable, so I accepted the call and began dreading a morning trip to the courthouse to put up bail money or something of that nature. Then, after a confusing moment of connectivity, a different male voice picked up. One I don't know. I, in all my sleepy confusion, said, "Hello?" He said, "Hi, I'm trying to call my cell phone?" Then I said, "Hello?" again, and we did that whole thing a few times before he said, "I think I dialed the wrong number, bye." So I call Tony, and he is equally still sleeping and confused by the whole thing, and not in jail. So this morning I did a little light googling. Call Intercept is a Verizon service -- that neither Tony nor I have. Tony did switch to Verizon 2 days ago, so maybe some technical wires got crossed. But! He doesn't have my land line number in his phone. So basically, this whole thing makes no sense and I want to go back to bed.

It reminds me of the time in college that I tried to call Gavin's cell phone. At that exact same time, his mom was trying to call him too. Rather than connect either of us to Gavin's phone, somehow we ended up talking to each other. I don't think this whole system is as sophisticated as we usually assume it to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home