blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wednesday Food Blogging

Why is every dessert recipe I'm gravitating towards lately dependent on bananas? Yes, they're delicious. And nutritious. Nature's perfect food! But as I shuffled recipes around this weekend planning what to make for a dinner party this week, every single one in the final running was nana-based: classic banana pudding, caramel walnut upside down banana cake, banana cupcakes with dulce de leche & chocolate butter cream, banana layer cake with cream cheese frosting... I know these thoughts make the G queasy and Capps run for an epi-pen, but mmmmmm, nanas!

Also: last night, as my culinary energies were focused on prepping for cooking for the Top Chef viewing audience at the flophouse tonight, my actual dinner had to be easy, quick and made of things I already had in my kitchen. I put on my, what would I have done in college? thinking cap, and made a pan of 7 layer dip for dinner. (Which I re-purposed for this morning as part of a breakfast burrito.) Later, talking to Gavin who was in the same predicament, I talked him into making hot dogs and macaroni for dinner. A favorite of the kids I used to babysit in high school, it's the cheapest and easiest meal in the whole world. As I spend so much of my time and energy perfecting fancy dishes and trying new methods, sometimes it's fun to go back to completely muss & fuss-free staples on a college kid's budget.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's foreshadowing for your Costa Rica trip. Seriously yummy bananas there. And you must try the local specialty, a BBC: Bailey's, Bananas, and Coconut Milk. Ridiculously good.

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bananugggh.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm 100% a banana dessert lover. in fact, even if I don't want a dessert, if there is a banana based dessert on the menu, I'll order it...Conversely, if I do want a dessert, and there isn't something that includes bananas, I'll probably not order anything...

*drool

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home