blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Sunday, August 03, 2008

#28, #81

This is a really big time for Redskins fans. Art Monk and Darrell Green have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. These two players have had a huge impact on our team and a huge impact on me personally. They were part of the era that was one of the greatest in football, and certainly the greatest for the Redskins. It was their playing and their character that made me fall in love with this game and this team as a kid. As most people know, Art Monk was repeatedly denied access to the HOF over the past 7 years of eligibility, to the great upset of Redskins fans. He deserves it more than most. And Green, well, he was just pure charisma, energy and talent. He was a rallying point for fans, a constant source of inspiration for the team and an active community supporter. Both guys are just tremendous men, and I'm so happy they're being recognized. I have been a huge fan of both of these guys for as long as I can remember, so I'm pretty nostalgic right now. If you want to get a little misty, watch Monk's wonderful speech here. Also, for JMHS alums, you may recognize Hutch & PJ at about the 9 minute mark. That speech got a 4 minute standing ovation. Skins fans were out in force. There were people from other team's being honored as well, but it was truly our day. So, with that, I'm off to bbq and watch what's sure to be a throwaway game of third stringers (and, I really hope that's the case; Zorn would start getting some good faith from me by benching everybody that matters), and start another season of HAILING TO THE REDSKINS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home