blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Friday, May 22, 2009

I was going to write a post about waxing

I wrote it. Then I thought, wait a minute, this isn't Jezebel. And though some of you might be interested in what actually does and doesn't hurt related to pre-beach-week grooming, I'll save those conversations for the next lady slumber party.

So hey, I'm going to the beach! For a week! Outer Banks again, with the Internet again. I will probably blog there as much as I've blogged over the past week. So, none! Try not to forget about me, though I sometimes forget about you. I'm sorry, it happens.

Hey, so, while I've got you here -- has it become ok to be uneuphamistically offensive, to an incredible degree, in pop music? There's a new song (lil wayne is on it, I don't know whose song it actually is) about wanting to bang every girl in the world. Romantic, right? Anyway, in this song, featuring verses from several different rappers, one guy talks about "taking v cards from"... a word that rhymes with v cards that is not a nice way to talk about people with mental disabilities.

Then there's another song, that sort of sounds like it could be by these guys. You know, one of those that's incredibly popular right now for some reason, where a pre-pubescent sounding guy screams into the microphone to a vaguely rock, vaguely dance backtrack? Anyway, this song is a really sweet little ballad, about getting your woman to shut the hell up, cause god why do you flap your mouth like that when you could be stripping for me or something?

(I just spent some time on Hot 99.5's website trying to figure out what song this actually is. Not only did I not figure it out, I'm now disappointed in myself and sort of shocked -- "Yeah" by Usher, Lil John and Ludacris is still in heavy rotation? Among the top 50 songs they play? Wow. Same for Destiny's Child's "Survivor" and J-Kwon's "Tipsy"? Alright.)

Anyway, just checking. I didn't know it was ok to talk like that... ever. I know music, hip hop especially, is not politically correct or particularly polite. But usually it's at least masked in clever word play! Isn't that the whole point?

On that note, I'm going to go drink blended beverages on the beach for the next week, trying unsuccessfully not to get sunburned. It promises to be a good time. Happy memorial day everybody. Oh, and, you should all make this spicy brown mustard for your BBQs this weekend. I made it last night and it was a revelation. So good. Scott is a genius.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Becky L. said...

It wasn't about birthday sex, was it? I heard that song at the nail salon this week and instantly felt 100 years old.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home