blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

"And although some psychologists question the use of the Internet for therapy..."

Ahhh, journalists discovering blogs. It's like that scene in Bill & Ted when Beethoven wanders into the music store and the keyboards blow. his. mind.

It's a rainy week here on the EC. My time's been occupied by work, finding a dress for Aaron's wedding, planning the celebration of Liz's birth, and staring at the wall. Let me tell ya, walls do the darndest things.

If you haven't been drinking your blogstretch koolaid and adding DCist to your list of daily reads, then you may not know about the Bon Jovi Ticket Contest we're running. Thought that might interest some of you.

The next round of job fairs are tall lined up, so I'll be heading to Ft Hood next week for a site visit. Me and the military are spending a lot of time together these days. Yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaw!

So, on to pressing matters. What should I be for halloween? I'm leaning towards pirate (as we all know my love for piratude), but the lack of halloween store by my work this year leaves me to fend for myself, which means my pirate costume could be lack lustre. If you have any good suggestions for costumes t r e t c h, please hollar. I've got parties to attend with tuff guys and girl scouts, so I need to get my ass in gear.

I just got a bit nostalgic. It was about a year ago that I started blogging. As some off you may remember, my first site was on a different domain (and all those posts are now gone), but one of the first ones was about greatest halloween candies. As an ode to my burgeoning blogger self, let's go for another spookster list.

Best Halloween Costumes I've Ever Seen

10. Republican. Last year, a friend of Kail's came to his halloween party as a republican. He had fake business cards, smoked a cigar, and talked about how rich he was all night. It was pretty classic.

9. The Great Pumpkin. When we were about 9, Diana's mom had this really great pumpkin costume made for her. It was so great, she wore it for the next 4 halloweens. As my eternal trick or treating partner, I saw a lot of that dear pumpkin. Not necessarily a "best" costume, but certainly one dear to my heart.

8. Willy Wonka & Oompa Loompa, 2004. I didn't see this in person, but the picture of Chris Hoy and ex GF last year at halloween are burned in my memory as some of the best effort and awesomest outcome in a costume I've ever seen.

7. As a kid, I had a good friend named Alita. Alita had reaaaaaaaaally long hair. For halloween one year, she dressed as a birthday cake. Her parents built this awesome round costume, and she put her hair into a braid and stuck a wire in it to make it stand straight up. It was the candle!

6. The Swan. Several girls did this last year, but I still thought it was great. Dress like a prom queen, but put bandages on your nose, fake black eyes, etc. Brilliant.

5. Small Pox. 4th year my roomates and I dressed up as cowboys, indians, and small pox. This was, of course, Betsy's addition to the group costume. She wrote SMALL POX on a tshirt, and ran around all night putting little red dot stickers on everyone. Classic Betsy.

4. Space Cowby. In a nod to Steve Miller, John Lane dressed as a Space Cowboy ~ in a silver western jumpsuit.

3. A Random Hook Up. Becky wrapped extension chords all around herself and was very thematically dressed for a frat halloween party.

2. King Of Beers. Last year, Derik bought a king costume and adorned it with pieces of beer packaging (bottle caps, case cut outs, etc) to become the King of Beers. Very clever, my friend.

1. My first year of college, I was outside at a halloween party, drunkenly chatting with some girl.
"Well, what do I look like?"
(Me, assessing the alarm clock, tissue box, book, glass of water, all atop the table that she was wearing) "A bed side table?"
"Yeah, and what's another name for that?"
"A night stand?"
"And how many of them am I?"
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

4 Comments:

Blogger Washington Cube said...

Don't know if it's any help, but I was listening to the radio the other day. They were interviewing a costume shop manager, and he said that they anticipated "pirate" to be the most popular costume this year. People who are booking their rentals in advance are going for that.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Blogs t r e t c h said...

No effing way! That's preposterous! Well, not really, but still, I bet they won't have as many pirate jokes as I would. I'm talking quantity, not quality here, folks: http://blogstretch.blogspot.com/2005/07/how-arrrrrrrrrr-you.html

Thanks for the tip!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dress up as britney spears and then when people ask "hey are you britney spears" say "helll no, i'm white trash, duh".......

dress up as george bush and then when people ask "hey are you george bush?" say "hellll no, i'm that guy from Rainman"

dress up as tom cruise and then when people ask "hey are you tom cruise?" say "haha, really? no I'm supposed to be a robot".......

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot the most important part of the Random Hook Up costume--the hickeys created with purple eyeshadow.

On an only tangentially related note, Erik and I were looking for couple's costumes last night. The first thing that came up when we googled it was a costume where the dude is a Brick Layer and the chick is a Brick House. Appalling.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home