blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rock Star Hug!

So. I just had my first rock star experience. After an unfarkingbelievable show by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs tonight, I was lucky enough to partake in the meet and greet, thanks to their label who I've been working with lately. The show seriously blew my socks off; I was all prepared to tell Karen O that she was "joyous." Of course, I turned into a bumbling nervous shy kid. I got two signatures on my poster -- Karen and the drummer. They were all absurdly nice, but, here's the thing. I wasn't allowed to say who I really was. The event was only for retailers, so I had to say I worked at a record store. Now, most of you that know me well won't find it surprising that lying is not one of my strengths. I'm just really bad at it, so I don't do it much. So when the engaging and friendly drummer asked me where I worked, I forgot, mumbled, awkwardly panted out "FYE," then froze like a deer in the headlights when he asked if we sold vinyl and replied, "Not a lot." The dude was seriously kind and interested to talk to me, but I was an absolute mute. Doh! Then came my turn to take a picture with Karen. Ya know, the super cool re-inventor of bangs, the fashion icon. What did I choose to wear to this event? An old plaid shirt, and a ribbon in my hair. A RIBBON? A FUCKING RIBBON? What was I thinking?!?! I do not know. I'll get the picture back soon (my label friend took it on her camera), but I'm fairly certain a few key qualities will stick out.

-I tried to play it cool and not be too smiley or look any more sororityish than my fucking ribbon already did, but I was so nervous that when the camera pointed at me, my face auto-flashed into toothy grin. I'm fairly sure that the camera caught me in some awkward stage between teeth and no teeth.

-I probably cocked my head and will look even girlier/sillier.

-We will definitely look like different species, as she is wee and I am amazon.

She was so incredibly nice though, and kinda hugged me. My first rockstar hug!! Pretty sweet!! Regardless of the level of ohsoawfulness that picture will hold, it's gonna fucking rock, because it's fucking me and Karen O.

Oh yeah, btw, totally a huge Yeah Yeah Yeahs fan now. That show was g-r-e-a-t.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Karen O thought your sorority outfit was supposed to be ironic? Then it would just be cool.
Hey, I'm just trying to make you feel better!
THAT SHOW DID ROCK! I am so surprised and pleased! Maybe concerts are just better when they're free. haha!

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home