blogs t r e t c h

between a roux and a bechamel

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Haleluia good Chinese!

One of the things I've lamented living in Falls Church is that I haven't been able to find any good Chinese food. Every other ethnicity: oh hell yes. But Chinese thus far has been hard to come by. So tonight, when I got a craving, I consulted Tyler Cowen's Ethnic Dining Guide. Holy cow is it helpful. I decided on Hong Kong Palace. I ordered two of his recommendations — the Ma Po Tofu and the Twice Cooked Pork, as well as one he didn't mention, the North Szechwan Spicy Cold Bean Starch Noodle. You can scratch that last one off your lists — I didn't care for it. At all. But the other two were excellent. I'm not a huge tofu fan, and I am still not wild about the texture. But the flavors were out of this world. The twice cooked pork was almost as great. I can't wait to try one of the cumin dishes next time. And every other restaurant Tyler Cowen recommends in my neighborhood.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peking Gourmet FTW!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Yes, the Hong Kong Palace kicks ass. The name is deceiving, since the cuisine is clearly Szechuan. From what I understand, the name is a legacy from the previous owner. I've had the cumin lamb and the cumin fish -- I prefer the latter, but they're both delectable and so good with beer. My mouth waters at the thought.

Peking Gourmet is safe, bland Cantonese fare. It's overrated by some either because it was H.W. Bush's Chinese restaurant of choice and/or due to the Peking duck, which, while pretty good, wasn't something worth going back for in my opinion. If your grandparents are visiting or you happen to have some GOP friends that don't know good Chinese food, take them to Peking Gourmet.

Hong Kong Palace is both better and cheaper than Peking Gourmet.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the best Mexican food around is at Cafe Amigo inside the Bite Rite at JMHS.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home